Director of Economic Development
Georgetown County - Georgetown, SC , US
This position offers you more than an exceptional career, it also provides the community
to share a vision centered on the growth and prosperity of Georgetown County. Come
work, live, and play in a vibrant and growing coastal community of South Carolina.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Plans, organizes and implements economic development functions including business
attraction and retention, fostering of economic development partners and business
relationships with local, state and federal officials. Perform a variety of responsible
administrative, professional and technical tasks. Related tasks such as preparing
reports, facilities and land inspections and public relations. Works closely
with a 501(c)(3) organization and reports to the County Administrator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Plan, organize and direct Georgetown County’s economic development activities
to include business recruitment and retention, growth and diversification of the
• Maintains close contact, and coordinates activities with economic development
representatives of State agencies, local chamber of commerce boards, local
municipalities, railroads, utilities and other organizations.
• Assists eligible businesses in obtaining financing for various projects through
state and federal programs.
• Becomes familiar with existing inventory of available buildings and businesses in
the County and the municipalities. This will include both public and private land areas.
• Prepare annual budget for approval by County Council and the County
• Develops industrial and commercial ( this may include retail, housing,
aviation and other categories) properties by working with a variety of public and private
partners along with the development of funding sources to support infrastructure
• Manages and organizes the activities of the Alliance Partnership, a 501(c)(3) local
economic development partner. Utilize partnership to incentivize future development.
• Provide information and promote our community brand to various groups,
businesses, individuals and public on economic development plans, programs
• Ability to work as a team player with staff.
• Other duties as assigned including disaster response team.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Economic / Urban Planning / Development, Public
Administration or a closely related field and 5 years of direct economic / industrial
development experience, or any equivalent combination of educational or work
experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Strong skills and demonstrated experience in project management, investor relations and
community engagement with outstanding communication skills, the ability to work
collaboratively and communicate effectively with multiple partners.
Adaptable to a fast-paced environment and able to manage multiple projects and meet
Must possess valid SC driver’s license. Work toward completion of South Carolina
Economic Development Professional in three years.
Qualified applicants may apply in writing through the closing date to
Human Resources Department,
P O Box 421270, Georgetown, SC 29442.
Contact InformationWalt Ackerman
129 Screven Street
Georgetown, SC 29442, US
Phone: (843) 545-3075